The mission of the Inspector General is to inquire into and report all matters which effect the efficiency and economy of the Virginia Defense Force and to make inspections, investigations, surveys, studies, and reports as may be prescribed by regulation, as may be directed by the Commander of the Virginia Defense Force.
It is the duty of the Inspector General to assist commanders, and other members of the Virginia Defense Force in the performance of their duties by supplying information when appropriate, by recognizing and reporting meritorious conduct and performance of duty, and by suggesting ways and means to improve conditions. Additionally, it is the duty of the Inspector General’s Office to ensure that no fraud is perpetrated against the Virginia Defense Force by any of its members, and that no injustice is done to any member of the Virginia Defense Force.
In the absence of the Inspector General the Deputy Inspector General will assume these duties until further notice from the Commander of the Virginia Defense Force.
An Inspector’s Code
- MY DUTY is to assist my commanding officer in accomplishing his mission.
- MY STATUS is the same as other members of the commander’s staff and I will coordinate my activities with theirs.
- MY ACTIVITIES shall be devoted to all matters affecting the welfare of the command.
- MY EFFORTS shall be unceasing is advancing the efficient handling, maintenance and safeguarding of supplies, equipment, and funds.
- MY INSPECTIONS shall be constructive rather than critical.
- MY INVESTIGATIONS shall be so conducted as to establish all pertinent facts.
- MY REPORTS shall be governed by strict impartiality.
- MY FINDINGS shall include all matters meriting commendation as well as those requiring adverse comment.
- MY WHOLEHEARTED ATTENTION shall be given to complaints of individuals and to allegations of irregularities within the Virginia Defense Force.
- MY CONSTANT GOAL shall be to protect the best interest of the Virginia Defense Force and the rights of its individual members.
The Inspector General and their staff have an obligation to keep the Commander of the Virginia Defense Force apprised to all situations and events within his command. The Inspector General and their staff are the eyes and ears of the Commander of the Virginia Defense Force.
Motto of the Inspector General’s Office
“DROIT ET AVANT”
“First be right; then take action.” The motto is in Blue, the color of the Inspector General’s Department. Blue, it is recalled, stands for loyalty, faith and fidelity.
Historical information obtained from: Inspector General Reference Guide, Department of the Army Inspector General Agency Training Division; Fort Belvoir, Virginia March 2020
This page last updated June 24, 2020.